There were 5 Indians apart from 4 Russians, 1 Irish and 2 South Korean nationals among the passengers. The Indian nationals have been identified as Abhisekh Kushwaha, Bishal Sharma, Anil Kumar Rajbhar, Sonu Jaiswal and Sanjaya Jaiswal, a Yeti Airlines official said.
According to the Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal (CAAN), Yeti Airlines’ 9N-ANC ATR-72 aircraft took off from Kathmandu’s Tribhuvan International Airport at 10.33 am and crashed at the Pokhara airport at around 11 am.
Emergency rescue operations are currently being conducted at the airport.
A total of 72 people – 68 passengers and 4 crew members – were on board the ill-fated flight, as confirmed by a spokesperson for Yeti Airlines.
Nepalese Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal called an emergency cabinet meeting following the crash, and directed effective rescue operations. The Nepal government has also formed a five-member commission of inquiry to probe the plane crash. The Nepal government has also formed a five-member commission of inquiry to probe the plane crash.
Images and videos of the crash posted on social media showed smoke billowing from the site.
Nepal plane crash: 32 bodies recovered so far
As per reports, the airport has been closed temporarily owing to the incident. Pokhara, in central Nepal, is a lakeside tourist mecca nestled below the Annapurna mountain range.
More details related to the accident are awaited.
Past crashes in the country
- Nepal, home to eight of the world’s 14 highest mountains, including Everest, has a record of air accidents.
- In May 2022, all 22 passengers, including four Indians, were killed when Tara Airplane crashed.
- In 2016, all 23 people aboard were killed when a plane of the same airline flying the same route crashed after takeoff.
- In March 2018, a US-Bangla Air crash occurred at the Tribhuvan International Airport, killing 51 people on board.
- A Sita Air flight crashed in September 2012 while making an emergency landing at the Tribhuvan International Airport, killing 19 people.
- A plane flying from Pokhara to Jomsom crashed near Jomsom airport on May 14, 2012, killing 15 people.
#Nepal #plane #carrying #people #crashes #Pokhara #dead #Indians #among #passengers #board